ALEKS Math Placement Assessment
Most new students, including transfer students, who plan to register for a Western course that has a mathematics prerequisite must first take the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment (MPA) online. The MPA also serves as a prerequisite for some courses in other departments such as Astronomy, Chemistry, Computer Science, Decision Sciences, Economics, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Geology, Physics and Science Education. Students must first activate their Universal Account in order to access the ALEKS MPA.
- Do I need to take the Math Placement Assessment?
- Take the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment (MPA)
- MPA Scores are used for entry into: Math 107, 108, 109, 111, 112, 114, 118, 124, 156, 157, 160, 240, 371, 381. Students may use an appropriate MPA score to serve as a prerequisite to register for selected classes in the following departments: ASTR, BIOL, CHEM, CSCI, DSCI, ECON, ENRG, ENVS, ESCI, GEOL, HNRS, PHYS, and SCED. Check Timetable (catalog.wwu.edu) for detailed course prerequisites and MPA eligibility scores.
- ALEKS MPA Eligibility Scores
- MPA Exceptions: Some students may meet an exemption to the MPA. Visit the Testing Center MPA website for the full list of exemptions.
- Go to Math Placement and Advising